The Long and Short of It.

In case you haven't been following along with the full story of my historically nomadic lifestyle, let me just sum it up for you: much moving, many boxes, much dismay. Oh, and there's also that $2,500 that I've spent on a storage unit over the past 2.5 years.

Good times.

We've lived in my cozy 2 bedroom condo for almost a year. We're moving again. Hopefully soon.

We're fully embroiled in the long process of purchasing a short sale home. Miraculously, it didn't take us long to find this house, despite our long list of "must haves":

  • Ideally 4 bedrooms, but at least 3 bedrooms with the option of adding a sofa bed in a semi-private area for guests.
  • Enough space to set up a fully-equipped home gym [we're cancelling our gym membership] without encroaching on our other living area.
  • At least 2 bathrooms, ideally 2.5 or 3.
  • Large enough kitchen/dining room to entertain My Gazelle's large family [and mine when they come to visit].
  • A yard for the pups.
  • Outdoor space to entertain when it's warm outside [I am pining for the grill that I lost many years ago].
  • A garden, or space in the yard for a garden.
  • Off-street parking.
  • Kid-friendly neighborhood.

Locating "our" house didn't take long at all. In fact, we found it within 2 weeks of looking.

And it needs a lot of work.

And I love it.

However, I still don't understand why they don't call it a "long" sale rather than a "short" sale. Trust me, there's been absolutely nothing short about this sale. We began by putting an offer on the house on January 27th, and it's now May 26th. I'll do the math for you: many months.

During April, we went through every inspection imaginable, ordered an appraisal, and even had some minor repairs done so that the house would pass FHA inspection (so that we could settle). We even had a settlement date scheduled for April 18th. Then we had a settlement date scheduled for April 21st. Then, my real estate agent called me on April 19th and said that settlement was cancelled because the sellers had a second mortgage that they never told anyone about.

At that point, we basically started the clock all over again. And then I cried. Besides all of the obvious reasons why I want to move into this house (more space, having a big enough house before we get pregnant, giving the pups space to play outside), we also have a very busy fall coming up. If we can't close the deal soon (literally), we will have to get out of this contract, and wait until next year to buy a house.

We were so disappointed by the news that our settlement was going to be delayed that we even decided to look at other houses. After about 10 more house tours, we quickly realized that our list of "must haves" above is hard to come by in our [relatively miniscule] price range. The average list price of a home in the county we are buying is nearly $300K. Our budget is like 1/2 of that.

At this point, I am impatiently patiently waiting for the magical call from my real estate agent telling me that we have a new settlement date. Some day [soon], I'm confident that I'll be digging away in our new garden.

Throwing parties on our [soon to be] fabulous deck.

In the meantime, I'm just going to try to be patient.

Not my forte.